- Total time: 1h 30 min
- Yield: 5 portions
- 250-300 gr smoked spare ribs or mini belly slices
- 250 gr dried split yellow or green pea (soaked overnight, if it needed)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large carrot
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 0.5 tsp ground zira spice and coriander ( optional)
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 bunch freshly chopped parsley (optional)
- 200 gr puff pastry
- Put split pea in a very large pan with 2-2.5 litres water and bring to the boil. Cook 20 min over medium heat , stirring occasionally, remove foam from the top with a kitchen skimmer. Season with salt and pepper, add bay leaves and spices, cook for an additional 15 min.
- Meanwhile peel the onions and carrot. Grate the carrot. Finely chop the onions. Heat a skillet. Add vegetable oil and chopped onions, cook for 5 min. until softened and transparent. Add grated carrot and cook for an additional 5 min., stirring occasionally. Cut smoked spare ribs into pieces sized 3-4 cm.
- Add the onions,carrot and smoked chunks to the casserole. Cook over medium heat for 15-20 min, topping up the water as and when you need to, to a similar level it started at and to meld the flavors.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Pour soup into the pots and cover with a piece of puff pastry, rolled out not too thin.
- Bake for 15 min, reduce the temperature to 150° C and cook 10 min extra. Cool a bit. Serve with freshly chopped parsley.